What is Professional Coaching?
The International Coach Federation defines coaching as:
“Partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential”
Is there a difference between coaching and counseling? They sound so similar.
At first blush they may look similar because both coaching and counseling address the gap between where the client is and where they want to be. Another similarity is that they work 1:1 with Individuals or with Groups. Even some of the techniques used in counseling and coaching are similar as they involve solid support, objectivity, guidance, confidentiality etc. However the similarities start to reduce from here on and the two diverge into their own specialized disciplines.
Some fundamental differences are:
- Therapists help patients sort through and deal with past issues.
- Coaches help a client sort through moving forward from where they are.
- Therapists work with their patients to create stability.
- Coaches work with stable clients to move them forward towards their goals.
- Therapists treat conscious or sub-conscious emotional, physical, mental & behavioral issues.
- Coaches partner with clients to create deliberate and conscious action plans.
- Therapists are licensed and diagnose the client on a medical basis.
- Coaches do not diagnose or treat the client.
How effective is Coaching?
The ICF Global Coaching Client Study shows most clients reported improved work performance, better business management, more efficient time management, increased team effectiveness, and more growth and opportunities.
The same study found that coaching clients noted greater self-confidence, enhanced relationships, more effective communications skills, better work-and-life balance and an improvement in wellness.
Individuals: Nearly 70 percent of individuals indicated they had at least made back their initial investment.
Organizations: According to the same report, 86% of companies say they made their investment back, with 19% reporting an ROI of 50 times their investment.
Overall: According to the ICF Global Coaching Client Study 99% of people polled said they were somewhat or very satisfied with the overall coaching experience.